Actin, Alpha-Smooth Muscle - Concentrated
Reacts with the a-smooth muscle isoform of actin, and with smooth muscle cells of blood vessels and parenchymal tissue of intestine, testis, and ovary. It does not react with actin from fibroblasts (beta- and gamma-cytoplasmic), striated muscle (alpha-sarcomeric) and myocardium (alpha-myocardial).
Immunohistochemistry (Paraffin/Frozen) 1:50-1:75, IF
The N-terminal decapeptide of alpha-smooth muscle actin
Human, Baboon, bovine , mouse, rat, chicken and Rabbits. Others not tested.
Recommended Positive Control:
Acetyl group and the four amino acids on the terminal end of the peptide chain of alpha-smoooth muscle actin.
20 mM Tris-Borate, 150 mM Sodium Chloride, dialyzed media RPMI 1640/D-MEM containing Fetal Bovine Serum, BMC-6 Carrier Polysaccharides, Carrier Protein, and 0.05% Sodium Azide, pH 7.5.
Do not dilute the entire reconsituted solution at once. Withdraw aliquots as needed with a micropipette and keep concentrated stock at 4°C. Dilute according to the particular application being used. In general, the 0.05M Borate pH 8.0 containing 0.15M Sodium Chloride, 0.05% Sodium Azide, is a good dilutent to use with most antibodies. GENERAL INFO: When diluting for Immunohistochemistry, ELISA, or Western Blot, make the dilution in Primary Antibody Diluting Buffer (Cat. No. M35). Avoid diluting the entire contents of the vial at once since the diluted solution may have reduced stability.
Prolonged fixation in buffered formalin can destroy the epitope. The antibody may be used at a dilution of 1:50 to 1:75 with AutoProbe III (Cat. No. 08-803). The optimal conditions should be determined by the individual laboratory.
This antibody is compatible with the following biømeda staining kits: AutoProbe III Wide Spectrum Universal Staining kits (Cat. No. 08-803, 08-804X), HistoScan Monoclonal Detector (Cat. No. 06-601, 06-601A and 06-601F.). BiøStain Super ABC Mouse/Rat kits (Cat. No. 11-002 and 11-002A), UltraProbe High Sensitivity Staining kits (Cat. 09-900, 09-901, 09-901X), Lab/Probe Mouse/Rabbit kits (Cat. No. 10-101 and 10-102) and AutoProbe II Universal kits (Cat. No. 08-801 and 08-802X).
Refrigerate at 4°C. Do not freeze.
1. Skalli O, Ropraz P, Trzeciak A, Benzonana G, Gillesen D, Gabbiani G. A monoclonal antibody against alpha-smooth muscle actin: a new probe for smooth muscle differentiation. J Cell Biol 103: 2787-96, 1986.
2. Skalli O, Schürch W, Seemayer T, et al. Myofibroblasts from diverse pathologic settings are heterogenous in their content of actin isoforms and intermediate filament proteins. Lab Invest 60: 275-85,1989.
3. Skalli O, Pelte M-F, Peclet M-C, et al. Alpha-smooth muscle actin, a differentiation marker of smooth muscle cells, is present in microfilamentous bundles of pericytes. J Histochem Cytochem 37: 315-21, 1989.
4. Rannov-Jessen L, Van Deurs B, Celis JE, Petersen OW. Smooth muscle differentiation in cultured human breast gland stromal cells. Lab Invest 63: 532-43, 1990.
5. Hasegawa T, Hirose T, Kudo E, Abe J, Hizawa K. Cytoskeletal characteristics of myofibroblasts in benign and reactive fibroblastic lesions. Virochows Archiv (A) Pathol Anat 416:375-82, 1990.
6. Schmitt-Gräff A, Krüger S, Bochard F, Gabbiani G, Denk H. Modulation of alpha smooth muscle actin and desmin expression in perisinusoidal cells of normal and diseased human livers. Am J Pathol 138:1233-42, 1991.